Saturday, November 9, 2013

Is a Chromebook For You?

Chrome OS Desktop
"What is a Chromebook, what does it do?" That is what I hear the most when I recommend a Chromebook to someone. I have had mine for almost 5 months now and the only device I use more is my Android phone. More than my tablet and more than my Windows desktop. That's not bad for something that was given to me as an anniversary gift without much prior knowledge of Chrome OS. I checked one out at Microcenter once but not to any great extent. My wife bought it for me after seeing it on my Amazon wishlist (more on that at a later time) and getting me the Samsung series 3 Chromebook.

I think it is important to note that I am fully immersed in Google's ecosystem and that probably made my transition a little easier. I have an android phone and tablet and I primarily use the Chrome
 browser on my Windows desktop. I also use Google Docs and
 Google Drive instead of Microsoft Office even though I
App Launcher
have that software. You do receive 100 GB of Drive storage for 2 years when you buy a Chromebook and that is on top of the 15 GB that Google already gives you for free. You also get 12 free Gogo in-air internet passes to use over 2 years and they recently added a trial use of Google Play Music All Access.

While Chromebooks are not usually high end powerful machines, except for the Pixel, they are very capable devices. Even more capable than I initially thought. They don't have the fastest processors or best displays but what they lack in those areas they make up for in other areas like portability, ease of use, sub 10 second boot time, and the overall Google ecosystem. While ease of use is dependent on the The browser based Chrome OS is able to do more than surf the web. The Chrome Web Store is
full of useful apps whether it's for work or play. There are many
 apps that are made by or are similar to many popular Windows
 or Mac programs. The recent addition of desktop apps makes offline
 use easier than before. These apps are designed with the ability to
 run offline and outside of the browser. While the list of desktop apps
 is small right now there are some that I think many will find useful.
Chrome Web Store

So, is a Chromebook for you? That depends on if the majority of the things you do on a computer requires a specific program that has to be installed on a computer. I use Photoshop pretty often and it isn't able to run on my Chromebook but I have my desktop for that. I never really liked using Photoshop on my old laptop anyway so for me the Chromebook is an excellent second computer. And I think that is a good way to look and these laptops. They may not be able to do all the things a Windows or Mac can do but as a second computer that is light weight and portable it is a good, affordable alternative to the conventional operating systems. If you use the Chrome browser on your primary computer you can even use the Chrome Remote Desktop app from the Web Store to log into that computer from your Chromebook and do the things you would normally do if you were sitting in front of it. Google Docs is great for collaborating on projects or just sharing documents with others. Docs can also be used offline once you enable that option.

Chromebooks also have traditional functions and options such as USB ports, SD card slots, and HDMI but there are no DVD drives. You can attach an external hard drive or thumb drive and access their contents or save files to the external devices. The HDMI allows you to add a second monitor or HDTV in case you need the extra screen space. Battery life is excellent, giving me at least 6 hours of normal use and it fully recharges in about 2 hours. Because Chromebooks do not install apps locally they are resistant to viruses and updates often happen without even noticing. They don't generate much heat so fans are not needed and that provides silent use.

While there would be an adjustment period, I feel the learning curve for a Chromebook is low if you already use the Chrome browser. The ease of use and low maintenance has led many schools to switch to Chromebooks for their student's use. For anyone unsure whether Chrome OS would be suitable for them I would suggest using the Chrome browser on their current computer and install apps from the Web Store to find out if they meet their needs. Try living in the cloud for a few weeks and then make your decision. While I sit here typing this post on my Chromebook, I don't miss the traditional laptops at all. After all, there is a reason 3 of the top 5 best selling laptops on Amazon are Chromebooks and it's not just because of price.

No comments:

Post a Comment