Friday, October 3, 2014

Consuming Podcasts

I'm fairly new when it comes to listening to podcasts. I would estimate that I have been listening to them for just over a year now, mostly while I'm at work. I don't know why it took me so long to discover this vast world of broadcast content but I'm glad I did. There are just so many different podcasts in so many different genres that there is bound to be something for everyone. Of course with the advancement of smartphones this has made it easier to find new ways to occupy your time. I have tried several different apps to listen to my podcasts of choice but I finally settled on Pocket Casts. It's a good app but I'm not writing this to talk about which apps I use or which podcasts I listen to. I want to talk about HOW I listen to them. 

2x indicated at the top right
Podcasts are pretty straightforward, you can either download them or stream them. I download them for a couple of reasons: I can listen to them even if I don't have a good 4G signal and I can control my playback speed. It's the second reason that prompts me to write this post. Usually when you listen to an hour long podcast it would take you an hour to listen to it but many of the podcast players allow you to vary the playback speed. I listen to podcasts at 2x the normal speed. While I'm sure this is not news to long time podcast listeners, it does make a big difference. It takes me only 30 minutes for a 1 hour podcast and 1 hour to listen to a 2 hour podcast. This allows me to fit in extra shows during my work day.

I don't want anyone to think that this is an easy adjustment. I had to train myself to listen at the increased speeds. I started listening at normal speeds and gradually increased the speed over a period of a few months. First I increased the speed to 1.2x then 1.5x to 1.6x to 1.8x and ultimately 2x. Making the jump from 1x to 2x is jarring if not done in stages. I had a show playing while I was driving with my teenage son in the car and he couldn't understand anything that was being said. He asked me if it was twice the speed but at the time I think I was only at 1.6x or 1.8x. Most podcasts hosts speak at a moderate speed  but every now and then you have someone that speaks a little faster and you may have to adjust your speed but I don't recall actually having to do that. 

One of the podcasts that I listen to is a local radio morning show and the hardest thing to do now is listen to them live because their normal speaking speed seems sooooo slow. The higher speeds also change the sound of their voices but not enough where they are unrecognizable. They also play a game like "Name that Tune" and I'm able to recognize many of the songs even at the higher speeds. Even though I thought about going higher, I think I have reached my speed limit as anything higher may be too overwhelming.

Now my player of choice is Pocket Casts on my LG G3. Pocket Casts allows you the adjust the speeds from 0.5x to 3x but many of the other players allow similar adjustments.


No comments:

Post a Comment